Our site has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.relativelyinteresting.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, April 24, 2011

4 reasons why my first run of the year was terrible.

My line of work is in the online media and technology space, so I tend to do a lot of sitting at my desk.   At nearly 32, I believe I am in the worst shape of my life, so I decided to pick up running again.  I live in a decent part of town, and have the luxury of a few nearby parks where I can train in relative peace.  

Unfortunately, on my first run of the year, this was not the case.  Here's why my first run was terrible (disregarding the fact that my lungs felt like they were on fire, and my legs now feel like Jello):

  1. Right out of the house, just as I left my driveway, the neighbor's rottweiler charged me.  This is the same guy who owns the tricked out Honda Civics, whom you might recall already pisses me off to no end.  The dog eventually gave up chase.  Maybe he was as out of shape as me.
  2. About half a mile down the street, I passed a little kid walking down the street.  He was probably 7 or 8 years old.  He had oversized baggy jeans, a hoody, and yelled out across to me "MIAMI, BITCH!", and then again as I passed, "MIAMI, BITCH!".  Great.  This was 2 minutes into my run.  Apparently, 7 year old are in to Season 2 of Jersey Shore.  Ladies and gentlemen, these kids are our future.
  3. Finally, I reach the park.  There's a big hill that I can run upwards against to get a bit of strength training.  Once I got to the top of the hill, I figured I'd run down the other side, then back up to get a bonus work out.  At the bottom of the hill, there's a little water resevoir building, and there were two or three teens in there smoking pot.  Fantastic.  Since I am grossly out of shape, and they were looking pretty sketchy, I decided to just steer clear.
  4. After another 7 minutes of running, I decide my knobby legs can't handle much more, so I decide to walk home.  
If you're adding things up, that's about 9 minutes of running and dodging sketchy obstacles in the "nice" part of town.  Can't wait till my next run!

0 comments: