Our site has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.relativelyinteresting.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, August 22, 2011

I'm 32, and I still don't know how to tie a necktie.

I have a confession.  

I have been using the same knotted necktie since 1998.  That's right.  The day before I left for university, my dad helped me by putting a tying a tie around my neck, and I have never untied it.  That's 13 years, folks (and counting).  

In 2006, I got a new tie for a wedding, but before leaving the store, I had the salesman help me out.  He tied the tie for me, and when he went to take it off (after I agreed to purchase it), I told him that it was okay - I'll take it off myself.  I took it off, ever so gently so as not to untie the knot, and placed it in the bag.  

I only own two ties, and they have never been out of their knots because I still don't know how to tie a tie.  It's not that I can't... it's more like I just don't feel like learning how to do it on YouTube.  And I'm too embarrassed to ask for help (so what better way to hide a secret then to post it on a blog?).  I'm not sure if I'll ever take the time to learn - I've made it this far in life without this critical skill.  But I know one thing for sure - those two ties better not ever come undone...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://i.imgur.com/6dr88.gif Here you go.

Trevor said...

Depending on what knot you've got in there, there may or may not be a world of opportunity waiting outside your door!

Unfortunately, there are two hurdles.

1. The YouTube videos are a fucking disaster. Seriously, I sat through fifty in a row, then one in particular twelve times, before a wedding earlier this year. Didn't work. Went back to the same old round-and-around-and-whoopsie-dee-and-DONE shit knot that I've been using since 1995.

2. Once you start caring about the knot in your tie, its complexity, and its wonder… you can't help but become a knot snob. It's really (k)not something you can come back from.

Good for you for admitting your knot preservation fetish!

Anonymous said...

Learn.

Sgt Psycho said...

Here you go.

BTW, your secret is out.

jason said...

how to tie a tie...stupid simple step by step!

the flipping is what made it stick for me...so it feels more like learning in front of a mirror

Anonymous said...

has no one ever questioned you about a reason for the fact you have only ever worn two ties in your ENTIRE life?