Have you ever noticed some (probably many) people just don't have any common sense?Earlier this week I had to let one of my employees go. So of course, company policy states that when someone is let go, they are escorted out immediately and cannot go back to their desk. Arrangements can later be made to come and collect your personal belongings.
Shortly after, our receptionist comes to my office angry and says, "People that get fired should have some decency to not leave things behind! Why don't they clean their desk properly so I don't have to?"
Really? do you really think that's the first thing that is going through that individual's head when they've been just let go? That they have to worry about their desk being neat and tidy so that you don't have to clean up after them?
Now this particular employee decided it would be smart to make arrangements to come back to collect his personal things today during business hours. How does that make any sense? Why would you want to subject yourself to embarrassment of seeing your former boss and peers after what just happened?
Even if you were asked to come in during that time, wouldn't your common sense tell you, "hey moron, tell them you want to go later in the day so that you don't have to clean your desk while everyone including your BOSS is watching you."?
Sure enough he walks in, sees me in my office and his peer sitting at his desk (it's an open cubicle setup) and gets all flustered and upset. Meanwhile, I'm staring at him and thinking, you're an idiot.
Then he frantically puts all his personal things in a cardboard box that we provided him and says to our coordinator who was supervising to ensure everything went smoothly, "I put my address on the box, please ship it to me", with attitude I might add. Then he leaves muttering swear words.
I just don't get people.
1 comments:
Common sense is uncommon
Post a Comment