Have you ever noticed that in the movies, the phone is never answered on the first ring? No one ever rushes to the phone or yells, "I got it!". They sit next to it, watch it ring.... ring... ring... ring... ring... and then casually pick it up. They still use the same "ring" sound that was used in the 80's or before that... that incessant little bell. I mean, it's not like it's an annoying sound or anything... You can imagine how irritated I was when that stupid ringtone turned up on people's cell phones.
In reality, most phones today would go to voicemail after 3 or 4 rings. But in the movies, it can ring 5, 10, 15 times. Then, when they're finally done chatting, they just hang up. No "goodbye", no "talk to you soon", just " ... click". And if their upset, they'll hold the handset to their chest like a baby, and stare awkwardly across the room at nothing, like everyone else does when they hang up after bad news, or when they're working through a tough decision in their mind, or waiting till the director says "cut!".
