Our site has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.relativelyinteresting.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Tim Horton's Coffee Lids: Why must your tabs be so difficult to use?

In the morning, when I desperately need an injection of caffeine, the last thing I want to do is fidget with my Tim Horton's coffee lid.


Have you ever noticed that the coffee cup lid, that wonderful invention, rarely works as intended?


In a perfect world, you would snap the tab back, it would click into place, and you would enjoy your delicious beverage.


But alas, life is not so simple.


Often, the tab does not click into place.  It continuously flips back onto your lip, obstructing the coffee from entering your mouth.  So you try snapping it back again... and again it fails to click into place.


At this point, there's only one option left - rip off the tab.  


You pull the tab - gently, so as not to spill your coffee - but the tab resists.  You pull a bit harder... a bit harder... and then the tab rips off, splashing coffee on your hands and clothes.... Now, without the protection of the tab, your coffee will cool off faster, and, without the ability to re-close the tab,the risk of coffee spillage increases significantly.  


I thought that Starbucks had the right idea with their coffee cup lid, since they don't use a tab at all.  I was mistaken - but that's for another post.