Our site has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.relativelyinteresting.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, June 28, 2010

You better remember to turn off your alarm clock before you leave the house.

When I was in university, I lived in a house with several other students.  This one girl - call her Katie - would set her alarm for, say, 8AM, but then leave for the library before her scheduled class, at around 7:30AM.  She would then leave the house, singing her way to whatever building she had to be at on campus.  She really did sing.  All the time.

She also would continuously forget to "unset" her alarm, so it would ring at 8AM waking everyone in the house who was not already up.  My room was next to hers, so I had the privilege of turning it off for her, every day.  For a while, I pressed the "off" button.  A few weeks later, and after asking her to be mindful of her alarm setting habits, I would simply unplug it - forcing her to reset the clock and alarm each day.  She never confronted me about that - so I had no satisfaction whatsoever.

Finally, after repeated attempts to remind her, I gave up.  Instead, I took our wireless doorbell and hid it under her bed.  Every time the doorbell rang, it would wake her up.  

Eventually the battery died, and eventually, she moved out.  But before the battery died, the doorbell would ring randomly in the middle of the night, I presume because the connection and/or signal was confused and weak.  I'd hear her wake up in the middle of the night, around 3AM, leave her room, and look down the hall to the front door - only to find no one was ever there.  

Poor girl was terrified each time the doorbell rang at night.  I hope she remembers to unset her alarm now.